Getting a good night sleep is essential for healthy skin and if you are not getting enough it can make your skin look older and tired. An example of this would be bags under your eyes. Not getting enough sleep can turn into a vicious cycle leaving you depressed, anxious and irritable, which in turn makes it more difficult to get a good night sleep. Getting a good amount of physical exercise each day will reduce stress and promotes a healthy tiredness that will make you sleep better at night. Swimming, Yoga and aerobics are great ways to improve sleep plus by circulating the oxygen in your body will help keep your skin stay healthy and vibrant.
Below are some suggestions for promoting a better night’s sleep (Source: Dr. Ken Landow)
- Drink plenty of water during the day
- Stick to a regular schedule for bedtime
- Do not eat a heavy meal before bedtime, eat dinner 2 to 3 hours before your retire for the night.
- Do not watch TV in bed or late at night, instead listen to a relaxation tape to put you to sleep
- Try taking a warm bath to relax you
- Do not let that worry list going in your head keep you awake, keep a pad and pencil on your nightstand and write it down instead.
- Keep your bedroom dark, quiet and cool. This is a place of peace, not a room that has stimulation and noise.
- Try to avoid drinking caffeine and alcohol which is a stimulant, instead drink cocoa or hot milk to induce sleep.